Friday, January 22, 2016

Frugal Friday: One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do...

If you haven't caught onto my ridiculous pattern here lately, you're an idiot.

Let me try that again. If you haven't caught on to my ridiculous pattern here lately, you're still an appreciated reader of my blog, but my goodness, take a look back and try to figure it out.


(the pattern is naming posts after/mentioning music in each post)

It's a fun way for me to stay motivated. I ALWAYS have something playing in my brain, even when it's dead silent. When I think of what I want to talk about here, songs often pop into my head, and it's nice to have a song to jam out to while I write, that has some sort of substance pertaining to what I'm writing. Today is no exception, especially because it's the second installment of Frugal Friday!


One may be the loneliest number, but that is only to our benefit when we're talking about spending money. You know, that paper and coin that makes the world go round for most of us... Yeah. Spending $1 versus $5 is enough for many to break out in song, am I right? Today we're going to talk about the various horsey-related items you can pick up at the Dollar Tree. A long while back, I introduced you guys to some grooming products that could be purchased at the Dollar Tree (see HERE) and I intend to mention them again here, too, so sit tight if you can remember that far back and realize I've repeated an item or two.


Fake Flowers
I haven't yet gotten around to building flower boxes for our jumps at the farm, but it's always in the back of my head, that when the time comes, we'll go to the Dollar Tree to pick up fake flowers for them.









Storage Containers and Bins
These are a no-brainer. I use a variety of these for everything from bath buckets, tack trunk organizers, to feed room storage. There are no shortage of uses for these various containers as it pertains to horses (OR home!)










Over the Door Hooks
These are awesome. If you're looking for a cheap and easy way to add storage to your stall front, these are a great way to go without damaging the stall fronts or screwing anything in anywhere (great for shows, too!). They work for most stalls that have something to hook onto. I have one similar to this which houses my fly spray, spare lead rope and halter, and Maxwell's flymask. I have another similar idea to this, but instead of 4 hooks on the end, it's a basket. I'm going to be bringing that out to the farm to add to his stall front as well, so I can put things like a brush, hoof pick, and any other "close by essentials" I might want in it. It's important to note that I have not seen the basket version at the Dollar Tree, just this type, in both metal and plastic. But I wanted to throw that basket idea out there for anyone who has one laying around or has seen them elsewhere!  These are awesome.

 Lingerie Bags

These little babies are the bee's knees, and I've actually been on quite a hunt to find them lately. Like many of their hot ticket items, the Dollar Store runs out of these like hotcakes. Got to be quick. They're amazing for washing polo wraps and boots in the washer. Gone forever is the mess of untangling polos or pulling velcro boots apart. These little babies are worth every penny in that dollar.

Pharmaceuticals
There are MANY useful items found in the medications aisle of your local Dollar Tree. Ever hear of the magical Scratches cure? Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Athletes Foot Cream, and Diaper Rash Cream. All three can be bought here. It's important to pay attention to the amount you get, however. I've found that if you're just needing to mix up a small batch, or use some of these items sparingly, it's worth the cost. But if you find yourself needing to mix more than one batch up, larger tubes found at bigger stores like Walmart or Target will likely yield you a better price per oz. Other things you can find in this aisle that may be of use to you include: epsom salts, witch hazel, evergreen rubbing alcohol, blue muscle rub gel (cheap mild liniment rub in a pinch!), baby diapers (in a variety of sizes none the less!), antacids for a quick tummy buffer, gauze pads & rolls for would care, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting something in these aisles. I spend a lot of time here, and can't even recall all the good purchases made here!

Hair Care
You name it, and they probably have some cheap version of it. I never ever ever buy "horse" specific conditioner. White Rain Hibiscus Coconut Moisture Conditioner is the bomb! Typically I do use a horse shampoo, but I'm known to break out the baby shampoo as well, especially for faces, manes and tails. It leaves everything SOFT, SHINY, and NOT crying from the burning suds, not to mention a bottle can be found at your Dollar Tree! Other helpful items include coconut hair product, olive oil detangler and sheen sprays, black (or clear) braiding size rubber bands, brushes easily used for manes and tails, and hair sprays/gels to tame fly-aways as needed. 


CleaningI'm going to lump a couple of aisles together in this section for the sake of the fact that they're scattered throughout the back corner of my local store. Car wash sponges (in the car aisle...) are GREAT bath sponges. I have actually never purchased a sponge marketed FOR horses. Only the car sponges. They're cheap, they last, and, well, they're cheap, enough said. Dawn dish soap! Well all know what magical blue stuff that really is. They usually have the concentrate and an average sized bottle. Obviously if you go through this stuff like crazy, a larger bottle from the big box stores is a better bet. Various cloths/rags always find their usefulness around the farm. Sponges and scrubby brushes, too! I've even seen oxyclean in the little tub. It's trial/sample size, only a couple 'loads' worth, however I don't believe a gray horse's tail or manure stains require an entire washer load's worth....but who knows. Vinegar can be found in the food aisles, usually. I don't purchase mine here, because I require a gallon, and they usually only have a liter bottle. Bleach! Don't forget bleach! Always needed! It usually goes quick at my local store because Walmart charges $2.78 for the same gallon. 


Bags, Containers, Etc
If you have a needy creature of a horse like mine, you've probably been in a situation where you basically need to craft a home made version of smartpaks. Dollar Tree carries many different sized tupperware containers as well as a great variety of disposable options. (please see the photo that accompanies this. I LOVE those containers) I also like to mention they carry a variety of sizes and styles of plastic baggies, good for anything from grain prep to soaking feet.



I feel like I'm barely skimming the surface here when it comes to useful items for horses at the Dollar Tree. What are your favorite finds at this, or any other local discount store for your barn or horses?

Good luck making 1 your lonely number at the register after spending an hour at the Dollar Tree with HORSES on the mind!!!





3 comments:

  1. Hi, I am another Tampa area rider and found your blog via COTH. I love the post about Dollar Tree equine supplies. Great blog !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following along and reading!!! I try to stay as entertaining as I can!! Glad to meet someone else from the area!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for following along and reading!!! I try to stay as entertaining as I can!! Glad to meet someone else from the area!!!

    ReplyDelete