Wednesday, June 24, 2015

I've got a lovely bunch of Coconuts

Today I would like to introduce you to the arsenal that is my equine hair and coat care. If you're anything like me, you're a horse owner on a budget, so when you find some money saving ways to make your horse gleam, it's a happy day!


Bella was my inspiration when it came to mane tail and coat care. She always had a gorgeous tail, and always knew how to grow one mighty thick, hard to manage mane. This mare is quite the looker, so as you can see, my need to have products that WORK in my arsenal was imperative! A little bit of research, and a lot of scrounging around at the dollar tree landed me with three products in my cart, which are still in my groom box, a year later, and now used on Maxwell. They also have homes in other groom boxes at the farm, as I've passed on my positive luck to other boarders.






Everyone has seen the online posts about the wonders of coconut oil. It's great for skin, cooking, teeth...pretty much anything imaginable. I decided that perhaps it would be the answer to my prayers on maintaining this mare's long beautiful tail.


I started with this simple, organic coconut oil found at Wal-Mart (in the cooking aisle!) I simply applied enough oil to visibly see it on the mane and tail. Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees, so depending on the day and the location, I was either applying an oil or a workable solid. The trick is to work it in your hands if dealing with a solid before applying to the hair. My favorite routine includes brushing out the mane and tail during a normal grooming session. I apply a generous (but not TOO much) amount of coconut oil to the mane and tail, tack up, and ride. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend applying coconut oil during times when you mind if your horse looks like a grease ball. Schooling sessions are best. I find that applying this prior to a ride gives the oil a good length of time to really soak into the follicles, deep into the hair shaft and surrounding skin. THE OIL WILL DRIP DURING YOUR RIDE. It's just a matter of fact, that because the oil melts at 76 degrees, that during a workout it would melt, and if you've applied a lot, it WILL drip. Once the ride is over, here in Florida we almost ALWAYS hose our horses down to remove sweat and cool out quicker. This is the reason why I apply before a ride. If you are not planning on hosing your horse or giving a bath after your ride, I don't advise using straight coconut oil, but keep reading because I have a solution to your problems below. At minimum I would rinse the oil, but it's probably better to go ahead and shampoo the mane and tail. Low and behold, a luscious soft mane and tail  appear once they have dried.

Now, that's a lot of work. A lot of messy work. Not something even the most dedicated groomers have time to fiddle with every day. For this, I go to to the collection of Dollar Tree products. 

Located in the ethnic hair care section of *most* dollar trees, you will find this magical stuff. Formulated with Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Mineral Oil, this product is my go to for daily treatment of unruly manes and tails, growth, or those needing a little extra moisture. I can't be certain of the exact melting point of this product, but I do know it doesn't melt as easily. However here in Florida where it feels like 100 on a good day, I have had the product liquefy in some instances. I don't apply this in as large of a quantity as pure coconut oil, but enough to get the majority of the hair should suffice. I use this as my leave in. It DOES leave a greasy residue, but I've found that if I apply it to a horse before turnout at night, by the next day I don't notice greasiness. Your mileage may vary, depending on the thickness and texture of your horse's mane and tail. I also use this product as a styling salve, to help the unruly pulled mane lay flat, or to tame fly-aways at the dock of the tail. Less is more, and once you get a feel of how the product works into the hair, you'll figure out what works best for you. I typically apply and follow with a brush or comb to make sure I've evenly distributed it to all hair.

The other two Dollar Tree items I love to use are also located in the ethnic hair care section. The Olive Oil Sheen and Olive Oil Detangler.  I am a Cowboy Magic Super Body Shine spray snob, but these are a great alternative for $1. They look exactly the same, so make sure you read before you grab. One detangles and one is a sheen. I use the detangler more often, and actually picked up the sheen on accident, but have used it in a pinch to shine up a coat when my other products ran out or I was low on money. Use as you would use any detangler. Spray, brush through, and look at the results. I noticed that it helped with Bella's frizzy mane ends (I CUT her mane--I know, I was terrible, But it was SO thick!)


Lastly, I would like to add a thought on my newest find for creating a gorgeous gleaming coat! It's super simple, widely available, and cheap. White Vinegar! I filled up a spray bottle with it (in addition to adding it to my flyspray) and spray a light misting over my horse's coat before I soft brush him. Adds shine every time and also helps keep skin yucks (fungus) and bugs at bay. Alternately, I also sponge it on as a final rinse during a bath. I have also diluted the vinegar 50/50 with water, but saw diminished results when spraying. As a sponge down during a bath, this is a good option, but I recommend spraying full strength as a shine spray. 




Please remember I am not a professional in any way, and I am simply just sharing some neat, inexpensive products that have done wonders on horses for me. Your results may vary, and some horses are more sensitive than others. If your horse is sensitive skinned by nature, please don't apply any of these products in copious amounts until you know how it may affect your horse. It sucks that I even have to mention this, but some people are the duller crayons in the crayola box.



No comments:

Post a Comment