Monday, October 26, 2015

Special

I just want to talk about how much I adore my horse. I flood my facebook and other social media with pictures of him, gushing, worrying, loving…whatever. But I just can’t get enough of that special horse. I always roll my eyes at people who say “he was/is my heart horse”….I don’t like that term. However, I do believe there are horses in our lives that touch a special part of our heart that none other does. This doesn’t discredit my love for other horses in my life; past, present, or future. It simply means that this horse has a much more emotional connection to my heart than other horses have. That’s not to say that a future one won’t touch me further, or differently altogether. But this horse, as himself, has me reeled in and I’m infatuated with him. Everyone thinks their horse is the most special. I’m okay with that. I just feel so humbled to know this creature.
I have to give myself a reality check when I realize it hasn’t been but *almost* 7 months that I’ve owned him.  That he has only been retired from racing for 8 months. That we still have a way way way long journey ahead of us. I can’t wait, because it’s been an exhilarating couple of months so far.
 My horse had a job. He had a purpose. He gave his heart to what he did. He might not have been the Triple Crown winner, or really, a winner more than twice ever on the track. But you better believe that I let him know he’s a winner in my eyes every single day I’m with him. What an exhilarating feeling to know that his 2nd ride off the track and onward has all been my doing. I’m the one who got him where he’s at, and where he’s destined to go. It’s really hard for me to take credit for the good things I’ve done. It’s even harder for me to take a compliment. But wow, what a feeling it is, to know that I’ve started to mold this horse into quite the special deal. Everyone is biased in thinking their horse is the greatest. I invite someone to get on Max and tell me he isn’t some kind of wonderful.
 (Okay, that was a rhetorical invite. There’s only a handful of people who I’d let sit on him. Duh.)


Okay so now that the mushy gushy stuff about my special OTTB is over, I have to share something! This weekend, the gang was all together! Gang? What gang? Well, the group of ladies connected through a very special pony mare that I like to talk about often. YEP! That gang! What a wonderful Saturday morning spent working out quirks, enjoying our horses, and revisiting with Bella. I sat on her, and it was so awkward! It was hard to believe that I spent so much time on her! She felt so little compared to Max! To see the beautiful pony in action was even greater. Trotting around with her nose down low, slow moving. I’m so very proud of that special pony. That myself and Kristina both gave her a great start, and that now she’s in the right hands to really turn her into the best little hunter pony a person could ever ask for.  That pony brought Max to me. We all got what we needed. That goes for both horses and owners involved. I’ve got a special friend who owns that special pony, who made it possible for me to own my special horse, and in turn also made it possible for Kristina to be touched by yet another special horse. There’s lots of special horses in this world. I just get the warm fuzzy feels every time I think about our little group of specialness. Not to mention all the horses attached to each of us who make up an even bigger group of special horses.


Max & Me, Bella & Summer, and Aiden & Kristina




Lots of specialness.

No comments:

Post a Comment