Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Mystery Map

I wasn’t going to even bother trying to post about this, because I got no pictures, and what’s a post without pictures?! But then I realized that apparently other people were taking professional pictures, and so that changed my mind a bit!!!

A few weekends ago, our barn went to an event called the Mystery Map Ride. It takes place annually in October at one of our local state parks, Little Manatee River State Park. (One of my favorite places to trail ride!) Several volunteers set up obstacles, the scarier the better, for horse and rider to complete along the trail. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like we really got any photos of the obstacles, but some candid’s while we were on the move got captured, so that counts for something!! Maxwell has been on a handful of trail rides since he came off the track. We did more of that than anything else for the first two months that he was home. He had a hiatus from trails over the summer, partly because we are more focused on ring work, but also because it’s just too much to trailer him all over the place and to then put him through a hot ride in the dead of the summer. He went on one ride the weekend before this event, and he was perfect, of course.

I was a bit apprehensive about how he might react to all the other horses and riders being in costumes.  This was, of course, his first ‘event’ with a bunch of other horses, since he came off the race track! I could only expect him to react how he might at the race track—with passion and excitement! So this year we opted to NOT dress up, and to use this as a good experience and training event. I was pleasantly surprised that he didn’t bat an eye at any of the crazy costumes, and really didn’t have anything to say about any of the ridiculous obstacles either. There were some we skipped, but we walked right next to each one that we did skip, without freaking out. I found out that Maxwell prefers to be a leader. In the back of the pack he was pacing and jittery. Grinding his teeth and holding his head up tense as could be. As soon as we migrated to the front of the pack, he settled right in, quiet, happy, and BRAVE! My little green OTTB wanted to be the leader of the pack. The greenest horse in the group, but the leader, and a good one, if I do say so myself!


Anyways, it was a great training experience for Max, and enlightened me on his ability to take in sights and activities and not overreact to them. I should have known. He’s spent most of his life on the track where things are always loud and there’s plenty of commotion, and probably a couple of weird sights to see at times. Baby Maxwell…always proving to be quite a perfect horse

This was towards the end of the ride--I can tell by my slouching posture

IM the one who looks out of place not being dressed up. I'd be lying if I said this wouldn't look super badass with everyone ELSE wearing sunglasses too. Hehehe watch out, Olympia Equestrian coming through!

Max has start box jitters. I told him it's okay, most horses who actually know what a start box means have a little get up and go in them...hehehe

Waiting in line to go over the first obstacle, some cavaletti

It's funny I'm looking right at the camera but had no idea my picture was being taken. I was simply giving my muffin a pat on the neck for being such a big brave Thoroughbred

I was laughing at something--I think Kristina threw the ball (which should have gone in that snowman behind us) and nearly nailed us. Max was doing a great job modeling, though!

Olympia Equestrian on the move!


OH! In December the Hunter Pace comes to Myakka! Closer to home. Last year I took Bella on one up in Wesley Chapel--this year Max will go on his first pace closer to home! I can't wait! Time to condition!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment