Monday, May 18, 2015

Can I just Take a Moment to Brag?

Maxwell has been off the track for not even 90 days. I seem him almost every day so I don't really get to sit back and admire the progress he has made in such a short time, but after the last couple of rides I have had with him, it really has become apparent how awesome my big bay is!

First, I want to give a huge shout out to Actiflex 4000 (Cox Labs). This stuff is my go to joint supplement. Superior ingredients with the maximum amounts of vital supplements to help support the joints. Maxwell receives a double dose of it and this is where I find the most improvement. Side by side comparisons (as I've previously posted) show that penny for penny ingredient for ingredient, Actiflex 4000 far exceeds the competition. Max is living proof. He moves out so much better and has a much better 'feel' now that he's been on it for 3 weeks.

Secondly, I've now had 3 rides in our new half pad. I think this is where I have seen the biggest overall change in attitude while being ridden. Max was a bit of a grump when I first got him. Understandably he was body sore from the demand that years of racing had put on him. His back is still quite tender, but that's a work in progress with our awesome body-worker. This half pad evenly distributes the weight of myself and the saddle over his back as well as absorbing major shock to his back. He has ears forward and happy expressions during our entire ride since this pad came. His sweat pattern is consistent along the back and I feel that it has made drastic improvements to the way my horse feels under saddle. I have been using the Lami Cell Gel/Foam half pad. It retails for about $50, and I have been eyeing it since before I got Max. Last week Jeffers put it on sale for $35 and I couldn't resist. Best $35 spent in a long time! In my opinion it far surpasses it's more expensive counterpart, the Ogilvy half pad. It is thicker, sturdier, and I feel like it's more than just a 'cushion'. It raises the saddle off the withers as needed, while conforming to the contours of your horse's back and your saddle. The Ogilvy kind of just sits there and makes it 'appear' to help. I feel it's far too thin to have substantial shock absorbing capabilities, as the Lami Cell does.

Maxwell had his first jump session this weekend. He LOVED it. There is something so exhilarating about bringing the green horse through his first jumping sessions. To see the excited expressions and happy motions they make once they 'get it'. Max isn't a young baby like the greenies of my past, but it's almost the best of both worlds because I get to bring my horse up through the trials and tribulations of jumping, while not having to worry so much about fusing bones and joints. I don't have a total baby on my hands, and his mature personality also makes it that much easier to progress him through. He seems to have taken to it quite well and I'm so very proud of our accomplished X (and mini gate!) jumping this weekend.

Baby Maxwell does a warmup. Would like to see a bit more reaching under, but we don't press the issue yet. Some days are better than others but he is making a marked improvement!


Cantering into X for the first time

A couple of still shots from video over the weekend


Spring Legs??






No comments:

Post a Comment