Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Silence

Sorry for the lack of updates lately! I'm currently working on my rundown of the trial with Cavalor WholeGain, getting pictures together, etc.

In the mean time, Maxwell had a lesson Saturday that was a complete train wreck. He was grumpy and while it wasn't as bad as it could have been, my heart broke because I knew something wasn't right. Our trainer knew something wasn't right. And it just really sucked.

He came out of the lesson okay, and the next day his body was super sore. His left hind ankle has mild effusion, noted on the vet checkup when his teeth were done, to be expected after 7 years of racing. The vet wasn't concerned, and said to just pay special attention to the ankle.

Anyhow, his body hurts, his ankle is especially puffy this week, his feet hurt, his stomach hurts, MY stomach hurts, MY head hurts, and I just want it all to be better. The angles on his hinds are SO off now, that I believe his ankle is acting up because of the extra stress being put on the fetlock joint. We have an appointment with a new farrier tomorrow after work who I am hoping can work some mega magic on his feet. The abscess line on his right front finally broke and chipped away so now Max has two huge chunks missing out of both front feet. I can't blame him for being a little jacked up right now.

I want think that his stomach issues are directly related to the fact that his whole body is having issues, and the stress of pain is putting stress on his digestive tract. I am almost 100% certain I'm dealing with a hind gut disturbance. My next task between having the body worker out and the farrier out, is to put him on a trial of Succeed for 60 days (money back guarantee!) to see if we have any positive results.

As far as the ankle is concerned, he's NOT lame, NOT off, but it is showing more effusion than it has since I've owned him. It's not hot, he's not reactive. It's likely just filled with some fluid and is being stressed because of the angles. I'm hoping that our appointment tomorrow can put some relief on those tendons and joints on his backs. I'm also trying to get around to purchasing some BOT quick wraps which I have seen amazing reviews for similar situations.

Can someone make it rain money? I DO have a strict budget, and with the way the horse eats, it's even stricter than it was when I had Bella. The extras include bodywork, lessons, tack, various supplements that might run out, etc. With everything going on right now...I'm at over double my budget if I went out and bought everything we kinda need right now! YIKES! I just want to see my horse happy and healthy. He's worth every penny in the world to me, I love him more than I thought I could love a goofy OTTB.

So it looks like we'll be out of lessons for a little bit. I need to focus on the horse's health needs, so the money has to go there first. I'm really bummed out because I was starting to really get a groove and learn SO much each lesson (it's amazing how much you truly never STOP learning) but it's not feasible until I get my guy back on track.

I'm heading up to Brandon Equine Medical Center on Saturday. I'm driving up with my friend who is taking a consignment horse up to it's owner's farm for a lesson, and we're stopping by to pick up meds, and me drop off a fecal for Max & chat about the hind gut issues. Just having an overwhelming July, guys! Fingers crossed it calms back down! Whew!




This face is so worth it...right?! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment