Friday, July 17, 2015

Yippee, and a little boo!

I was SO happy with the farrier appointment yesterday! Steve's attention to detail and thoughts were right in tune with what I have been told and what I have learned. Maxwell's right front and right hind had a significant difference in measurement compared to his left front and left hind. He also took some pressure off the two big hunks that came out of his front feet. He feels like we can save the heels, and his first thought is they have been trimmed too aggressively. We will know more about how Max's feet work now that he has done a trim (yep, after a week and a half there was still 45 minutes of work done on these feet)...and in 5 weeks we'll have a bigger picture. He was standing much more underneath himself when all was done and I'm hoping it takes the pressure off his ankles. He seemed much happier after he was done, and also enjoyed resting his sleepy head on Steve's back as he worked. My silly Maxwell.

Max had some filling in his front left lower limb during the trim. If I hadn't then been told that the difference between his left side and right side was so great, I would be concerned. However, I have to keep reminding myself that it is likely that both his left rear ankle and his left front lower limb area are having some problems because he's been walking around with one side of his body higher than the other, plus the added strain of the wrong angle on the hind legs, which is likely the biggest cause of the effusion in his hind ankle.

I'm going to give him a few days to adjust to his new trim/new feet, and have been passively caring for the legs and ankles with a cold hose and liniment rub, since they are NOT hot, NOT reactive, just  more stocked up looking than anything else. Unfortunately for me, I haven't gotten around to buying a set of no bows and standing bandages for him. Bella's aren't even close to fitting Max, and mind-blowingly, no one else at the farm seems to have a set...So doing him up in some wraps isn't going to happen, since no one around here carries them, and ordering will put me out till next week anyhow. I'm really leaning towards getting the Back on Track Quick Wraps, because those would be awesome to trailer in, as well as therapy before and after hard rides. 

Hoping to have more answers tomorrow as Maxwell adjusts to his new feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment