Wednesday, April 15, 2015

6th Ride off The Track Happened Tuesday...

I give Baby Maxwell credit today. There are a lot of scary loud things happening at the farm this week. It started yesterday (Tuesday) with the demolition of a house on the property. Obviously seeing large yellow machines banging around and knocking stuff over is terrifying to any horse. I got to the farm about 5:15, when the crew had gone home for the day. Max was visibly 'worried'. If you even call it that. I call it alert. He just wanted to look. Sounds were more interesting to him yesterday than they were in days past. Can we really blame the guy? He just watched a house get knocked over all day long. Of course he's curious.

I didn't expect to get much out of him during our ride. He was not misbehaving, not spooking, not acting out of sorts, but he definitely wanted to "look" a lot more than he has up until now. We walked some laps in the round pen, and I dismounted and walked him over to the paddock. Horses were already turned out (they graze the grass arena at night) so I could't ride in the arena. This was fine though, because it was Max's first time since being brought home that he was ridden alone without another horse as a 'buddy/guide'. He did great. He LOVES to stop and smell poop. We'll address at a later date when it's appropriate and not appropriate to do that. But we walked around the paddock and worked on bending and listening to my leg. Of course bending to the right was a challenge. His body curled right around my inside leg, but that neck was in a totally different universe. Time. That's what I have to keep saying. This horse advances so quickly and is just so well minded that I have to keep reminding myself about Time. We trotted a lap or two each direction and I called it quits. It was hot, it was a windy day, and he had a lot of action throughout the day.

He is generally happy to trot along with a little squeeze and a verbal "tee-rot" from me. I cannot wait to start cantering and eventually popping over some cross rails. TIME. Time. time. No reason to rush. Max isn't in a big hurry, so neither should I be....

Love that monster! Here's an adorbs picture of him playing in the mud. I don't think we'll have trouble learning about water and horse eating puddles!

No comments:

Post a Comment