Friday, June 5, 2015

Reflections

Yesterday marked 2 months of ownership with Maxwell. It's amazing what progress comes in two short months! 

Yesterday Max had his first ride in a week and it went very well! He was much happier with the bit, and enjoyed the 'seek contact' game we played for a little bit. However, he was NOT a fan of trying to learn leg yields. He grasps the basics of bending around my leg (though he doesn't like it much) but the leg yields really pissed him off. He kept stomping and swishing his tale and walking into the fence. Obviously he just didn't understand and got a bit frustrated. Finally we got a few steps each direction and ended with that. 

We're still struggling to get the right lead. I've decided that it has to be something I'm doing wrong. He will pick it up in the round pen, he will pick it up playing around outside, and he even occasionally pics it up over a jump. But I can't cue him to pick it up, or convince him to switch to it. Hoping to start lessoning the end of this month to get that issue laid to rest so that we can have a real even workout in both directions. 

Anyways, the reason I named this post Reflections is in part because I reflected on how our ride went, but really, it was because of the question and comment I seem to be getting almost every time someone is out at the farm and sees Max.

What do you do to make him so shiny? 

Well, Max gets a weekly bath. 

Bash me all you want, but during the summer, my horses always get a weekly bath. They get a daily shower (or every time they're ridden) and weekly they get to add bubbles. A horse with dry or sensitive skin may not be washed as often, but I've had no problems and it has worked well for me, so I continue to do so unless Max tells me otherwise. Also, he's a work in progress with "touch" and this includes water, so it's a great experience for him to have every week.

I alternate between Cowboy Magic Shampoo & Conditioner (mostly because I still have some left) and TRESemme Naturals Shampoo (with whatever conditioner I happen to grab).

The icing on the cake, though, is what I do after that. During the final rinse, I sponge on White Vinegar. Once he has dried I go around him with a spray of white vinegar and brush it in. Keeps the bugs down (momentarily) and produces a LONG lasting sheen to his coat. 

It's that simple.

And of course, a well balanced diet always plays a key role in coat and skin condition with your horse.


Don't mind my big geeky smile...This is Me & Max with my boyfriend Mitch and my nephew Lucas. Notice the shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment