Friday, February 26, 2016

The Man, The Myth, The Legend....The Retired

I have a very important announcement to make!!!

Baby Maxwell has officially been retired from racing for ONE WHOLE YEAR!

Okay, let me admit something really quick. His actual retirement anniversary is tomorrow. I'm writing this today, Friday February 26th because I don't intend to be on the computer for an extended length of time over the weekend and I wanted to get this important post done today for all to share in the joy :-D I'll be busy spending time with Max!

Baby Maxwell ran his last ever race on February 27, 2015 at Tampa Bay Downs in Race 5, A Claiming race for 4 year olds and up who have never won 3 races. Baby Maxwell ran 9th out of 9 the entire length of the race. Race notes state he was "outrun" which probably wasn't a surprise, considering his odds were something like 59-9. His heart just wasn't in it any more. Various notes from his last few races clearly paint the picture that Maxwell was ready for a new career. I got to watch a few of his races, including the last one he ran, online, and if I'm being completely honest, I thought it would be a little comical, to see the horse I've come to know so well run around the track and flat out lose. But it actually was quite emotional and my heart broke for my Baby Maxwell. He's number one in my heart, so to not see him being celebrated as #1 those days really tore at me. But his race career, while not the best, did yield two winning runs. Let's celebrate those two moments in time that Max was toted as top Horse for his race. Those are the two runs I want to always remember. Because he truly is a winning horse, in many ways other than racing, and that's how he should be celebrated!

I probably shouldn't post these, because I didn't buy them and they have a watermark on them....but I'm totally linking them to their proper owner. I do want to buy them, but just haven't gotten around to spending $22 per print. At some point I will! And I'm sure they'll be shared again!

© Coady Photography
© Coady Photography










This win photo was taken May 4, 2013 at Calder in Race #4. It warms my heart a bit to see Maxwell in the winners circle making owners and trainers very happy, just as he makes me very happy every day now!
















This win photo was taken August 3, 2013 at Calder in Race #10. I absolutely LOVE his finish photo, you can see he was ready to give even more to get his jockey across that line in the lead. I also love to see the winning photos with him covered in mud. If you know Maxwell, you know he thoroughly enjoys splashing around in mud puddles. Perhaps he should have run on a sloppy track more often, and could have yielded some extra wins ;-)












I feel making a big deal about the first year of retirement from racing is important. You see this athletic beast go through so many changes, peaks, valleys, and eventually perfection if you're careful and lucky. I'll have another bigger brag post on April 4th, when I celebrate a year of ownership with Maxwell. But for right now, I really just want to celebrate the horse he's always been. A dedicated athlete; bred, born and raised to be a winner. To always try his best. To put his heart behind everything 100% even when his heart might tell him no. Maxwell always tries. When he says no to something, there's usually a DAMN good reason why he's said no. His can-do attitude may not have won him as many races as his owners and trainers had hoped, but it sure does speak for the horse that he is. I've never had such joy in my typically monotonous rides throughout the time. He's always a pleasure. Always a joy. He's the horse I'd pick over and over to cart me around. I'm so proud to be Maxwell's biggest cheer leader, his #1 fan, his biggest supporter, his advocate and friend. There's nothing like the heart of a Thoroughbred.

Maxwell spends his time in a roomy 12X12 stall during the day, munching on hay in front of his 3 speed fan, casually swatting flies. By night he grazes the grass of a paddock that he shares with an evenly tempered mare who keeps his silly tendencies in line. I see him between 4 and 6 times a week and he's ridden between 2 and 4 times a week, always making progress and moving forward in his new career. Maxwell picked one of the TOP places in Florida to retire, the Bradenton-Sarasota area. He's a Florida retiree now!

Here are two photos from Summer, the wonderful woman who connected me to this wonderful gelding. These were taken while Maxwell was still residing at Tampa Bay Downs, and below that, two recent photos of Maxwell being Maxwell. More photos of this beast will be included in our 1 year ownership post ;-) 


© Summer Thurber

© Summer Thurber

Recent Photo of the sweetest boy ever!

With a HUGE personality <3

No comments:

Post a Comment