Monday, April 4, 2016

I just knew...

I'm going to be completely honest in saying it took me about 4 days to compose my words for this.

And even in those 4 days, I've been unable to completely convey into words what the last year has been like for me. That goes both equestrian-related and personally. But I'm going to try.


Every horse obsessed person who spends any amount of time online is guilty of spending hours scrolling through horses offered for sale. I'm guilty as charged. At the end of March 2015, I made the difficult decision to place my beautiful buckskin pony Bella up for sale. As much as I adored her, I'm a realist. I realistically knew her and I would not be a compatible match in the show ring. Finely boned large ponies and adult riders of average height just don't pin in the hunters. Bella was a blast to ride, spend time with, and especially to look at. But I yearned for something more. Something bigger, something a little better suited to my body, and more suited to what I wanted to do. So I put my selfishness aside, and posted her for sale. It's probably one of the hardest things I've done when it comes to horses. I still to this day wish I could have her just to have her. She's strikingly gorgeous and amazingly talented. After getting a couple of nibbles with the sales ad, I started to look into horses that I could see myself growing with; horses that complimented me as well as I could compliment them. Throughout this process, a certain horse kept popping up. Every single day, it seems, Baby Maxwell would show up on my Facebook news feed. Someone would comment on a photo his owner had posted, and that striking photo of his kind, gentle eyes would show up again. I would later joke that he was haunting me. He really was, I think. Someone somewhere somehow wanted me to meet this horse, and equally as important, his owner at the time, Summer.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Summer on that memorable Wednesday evening. Chatting about Maxwell, Bella, the whole shebang. Talking about Silver Race Farm and the gaggle of animals that call Summer "mom". I was scheduled to try two horses the following day, and made plans to come visit Maxwell the day after that. On Thursday during the drive to Lakeland, I spent most of the time gushing over Baby Maxwell. I managed to not utter "Baby Max" for the two hours we were at the farm trying the other horses, but the moment we were back on the road home, Baby Max came back out for discussion. I distinctly remember cruising down 301 as daylight disappeared chatting with my barn owner Kristina about this mysterious Thoroughbred. At one point she even said something along the lines of "It sounds like you already have your mind made up--and it isn't either of the horses we just went to see, is it? (Good job Kristina, perhaps you're a fortune teller, because you sure did tell the future!)

I got little sleep that night, impatiently awaiting my meeting with Maxwell and Summer the following day. I don't even remember my work day that day. All I remember is speeding down the road to get to the farm so we could head over to meet this beast. My heart was beating out of my chest, my stomach in knots. You would have thought I was going to meet a celebrity or the president or something SEEMINGLY much more official than a horse.

The moment we walked into the aisle of the barn and I saw that beautiful bay gelding standing in the cross ties, his gleaming caramel eyes shining at me, I knew. If I had any doubt in the few days leading up to this moment, I knew for sure now. I didn't even need to lay a hand on him. Summer actually had to invite me to look him over because I just stood there in awe of this creature. I've never felt that way about a horse. I'm not exactly sure why I felt this way about this one, but I've learned not to question gut feelings. We spent a few minutes together, as I got to know his "charming" personality. That would include swinging around to bite during grooming. Many people would have turned around and left at that point. But I knew. I knew his sour puss attitude was apart of what attracted me to him so much. Deep inside that big strong heart, I knew he liked it. He would never show it, and still doesn't, but I knew. We tacked him up, and off we went to an area where I could spend some time with Max under saddle. Up until this very point, Max had exactly 1 off the track ride. #2 started with Summer getting on first. Not because I was scared, but it's just my way of doing things when I try a horse, and typically it's pretty normal for the horse's owner to get on first. I want to see the horse "go" first. Summer hopped on and walked him around. At this point in time, obviously, that's about all he'd done post track. A few moments later Summer invited me to get on. Obviously we didn't do a whole lot, it being only his second ride, but I just freaking KNEW. I knew he was gonna be mine. He could have tossed me off and promptly took off and I probably would have still taken him home. His soul sucked me in and it was all over.

It's important to add in, now, that while I was gushing over this special horse, I was also taking careful note at the type of person Summer was. A professional, no doubt, who absolutely put every animal in her care first. Her quality of care, attention to detail, and her knowledge in the industry are paramount. This would be the perfect place for my little pony girl Bella. Good thing, too, as that evening once we returned to Kristina's barn and began turning out horses, I made that decision. In a few short sentences I told Summer that I just HAD to have this horse, and I really wanted her to be where Bella went. We worked out the logistics of it all, and by the end of the night Bella had a new mom, and me a new horse. It's safe to say I didn't sleep at ALL on that glorious Friday night, either.

I woke up extra early the following day. I got to the farm at about 7:30 in the morning and sat down in Bella's stall and sobbed. She didn't care. She was busy with her hay. But those few moments in the stall with her were so important to me. I brought her out and gave her a final bath. If you know Bella, you know that everything MUST be perfect for such a perfect pony. I groomed her up as best as I could. Summer hadn't yet met this beautiful pony, and I wanted her to look her best for her new mommy. As the clock ticked down and it got closer and closer to time to leave, that fluttering in my heart started again. Me and Bella had some special moments together before I loaded her up onto the trailer one last time. Tears rolled down my face. But I was truly happy. I had this overwhelming sense of peace. I would miss the little girl dearly, but the peace and calm resonating within really helped.

The drive was uneventful. Driving through Myakka is one of my favorite things to do. Until this point, I never had a reason to. I was getting anxious by the time we got there, partly to see my new boy again, and partly because I wanted Summer to see her new special pony!

Long story short, we exchanged food (horse, not human!), hugs, tears, smiles, and ultimately, horses. I wouldn't know it yet, but that was the beginning of an important friendship in my life. I guess the best friendships start with horses, hugs, tears, and smiles. Maxwell loaded up and we were on our way home.

Baby Max in his first few moments at home

A very special day, bringing home this lovely creature
I found the horse of my dreams that day. A year ago, today. I had always envisioned my dream horse to be a 4 year old Dappled Gray Warmblood monster. I came home with a modest 16 hand, 7 year old Bay Thoroughbred instead. And he couldn't fit the ticket any better for what constitutes "horse of my dreams." I see every obstacle, hurdle and challenge that we've worked through in the last year, and in each case we've triumphed, I've learned, we've learned, and grown together. I can't wait to see where myself and Maxwell can go.

The story doesn't end there, however. Maxwell and I have a bond I've not experienced with any other horse before. It's weird. I can't even quite put into words what he means to me, or how to explain that bond out loud. It's just there. The same can be said for the wonderful person that provided me such a magnificent horse, and who gives my favorite pony a wonderful home, too. I found a special kind of friend in Summer. I found someone who burns with the same passion that I hold. It's so hard for me to make "friends". It has ALWAYS been that way for me. I moved A LOT growing up. 3 states, 9 houses (while I was in school), and 8 schools. Needless to say, making a long-term connection to any human that wasn't family was rather difficult. At 7 years old back when the internet wasn't really a thing, it was infinitely more difficult to keep in touch with friends. At 12 years old, keeping in touch was more of a concept, but I had just spent the last 3 years befriending nature, animals, and perfecting my love of horses in Tennessee. I stayed in touch with the horse people. Keeping in touch was much easier as we moved around the 3rd state, but even still, deep roots are hard to grow when they keep getting pulled out of the soil. My oldest friend is the one I met on my first day of school in 6th grade. I'm grateful to still know her and call her a friend. Summer reminded me of deeper roots. You can meet someone once and feel that connection. Over the last year I've been lucky enough to see a friendship blossom. One that I believe can and will stand the test of time. The test that has failed me so many times in the past. I'm so thankful for Baby Maxwell, for Bella, for Summer. For the whole situation. There really are no coincidences in life. There was a reason I met Summer and found such a supportive, caring and loving friend in her. And Summer brought Maxwell into my life when I needed him and he needed me most. Summer came into my life right when I needed her, too, and has proven that over and over with her support in me both in horses and "life". I always thought I was a bit of a cold heart when it came to sappy stuff, but it's clear that when I get on the subject of good, important friends, and amazing horses, the tears are still able to flow, the heart flutter, and the face smile.

Summer & Maxwell, you are two beings in my life that mean a great deal to me. I wouldn't have one of you in my life without the other, and I feel like I need to acknowledge that often and express my extreme gratitude for both an amazing woman and an amazing horse <3

Celebrating a year together. He hangs his head in embarrassment of me, hehehe

Big smiles and a satisfied look for Max

OH HE LOVES ME. hehehe











No comments:

Post a Comment